Monday, February 2, 2015

EL CAMPO! Week 6?

Hola Amigas y Familia!!

I'm sorry but this week's email is going to be a bit short. I have run out of time!!

Anyway, WEEK ONE IN THE FIELD!!

Last Tuesday I left the CCM early in the morning and transitioned into the field. The other missionaries serving in the West and I left and joined our mission President and his wife, the Nuckols, at a chapel and had a morning of training. They gave us a orientation and then we met our new companions and were assigned our area! I was beyond sad to have to say goodbye to Hermana Larson (who is seriously an angel and has helped me more than I ever thought possible) but I now have the awesome opportunity to be with Hermana Johnson. She is my trainer for the next 12 weeks. Here in the mission, we refer to her as my mom, because she is my trainer. She is from Thousand Oaks in CA and is super great. She has been serving here in our area for her whole mssion so far, because she was trained here too! So my area is Vicente Nobles. Its in EL CAMPO, or also refered to as the south. Basically here we categorize areas as either in the Capital (aka in the city, Santo Domingo) or El Campo which is everything West. I'm in a small town that is surrounded by trees and farmland and its a very humble place. Many people's homes have concrete or dirt floor. Its been raining so there's mud all over the place. There are small comidos which are kind of like corner stores and everyone drives through the streets on their Motos (aka motorcycles or scooter because very few people have cars). The people here are so humble and its been great to learn more of the Domincan culture.

 The first week was hard to transition. As much as the CCM prepared me, the work out here is defintely different. We share short and simple messages with scriptures. This town also has a branch as opposed to a ward, which just means that there's a smaller congregation size. We are focusing a lot on menos activos, or less actives who have stopped coming to church. While we might not have many baptisms, I know that this work is just as sacred and special. Helping these people feel the Spirit once more and remember the truths of the Restored Gospel is amazing. I am just learning so much and it's great here!

Okay I'm sorry but thats all the time I have today! I'm on a computer in our capilla (church building) and I'm out of time! Anyway I love you all so much and thank you for your continued emails and prayers!

I'm truly overjoyed to be here in this country and to have the opportunity to serve the Lord!

I love you all and hope you have a great week!

Con mucho mucho amor,

Hermana Graham

No comments:

Post a Comment