Monday, February 9, 2015

Week 8!! Metas y Fechas y Getting to know Vicente Noble!

Hola mi Familia y Amigas!!

I hope you're all having a fantastic week and that life is good!

So first off, sorry for the quick and short email last week! We are still kind of trying to get a hold of this emailing thing and we keep running out of time. There are only so many places with internet access and they keep being closed!  Anyway it's all good and I´m excited to tell you all a bit more about my time here in the field and about my area and the people!!

Sooo, this is now my second week here in Vicente Nobles, which is a small pueblo that is out west from the Capitol.  It's typical campo and it has so many little quirks and things that make life here so funny and awesome.  Domincans are so funny and sweet and it's been great being able to see and experience life here.  Life is simple and awesome and I love being able to get to know these sweet people and teach them more about Christ!!

My companion is Hermana Johnson who has been serving here her whole mission so far.  We share an apartment with Hermanas Walter  and Wheatley.  Hermana Walter is from Saint Lucia and is 23.  Hermana Wheatley is from Arizona and is 26. They are all so funny and are great missionaries and examples.  We have a great time in the apartment talking about our days and cooking food.  I am already obsessed with fritos, which are fried platanos chips.  They are insane and we eat them too often.  It's a problem. :) Our apartment is really nice compared to a lot of homes in this area.  But our apartment has been kind of falling apart since I've been here which has made for some great experiences.  Since I've been here, our generator has been broken so we use flashlights ever morning to get ready and shower and all that.  The light works in the night time so we are good then, but mornings consist of having devotional with small flashlights and strolling around in the dark.  Our water also wasn't working for about 2 days so we had no running water!  It was a struggle but we finally got it fixed and it's great again.  The water is always ice cold so showering is sometimes painful but I've already gotten used to it so it's great!

The days here consist of studying and planning in the morning, then leaving to teach a few lessons. We come back to the apartment to eat lunch and prep more and then we leave to teach and find people from 2-8.  We are usually pretty busy with lessons but we also have days when our citas (appointments) fall through so we go contacting instead.  Everyone is so nice and willing to listen, even if they have different beliefs or go to other churches.  One day we were working really hard to get 30 contacts, which is a lot! We had this goal so we could meet our goal for the week.  It was amazing how much success we had at talking to people and sharing when we were really trying to find people! We ended up with 33 that days which was so amazing and definitely a blessing! I know Heavenly Father helped us to meet our goal and also find people who were willing to listen!

Anyway I'm just learning so much and I get more comfortable with the work and Spanish and these people every day. It's amazing how small lessons here and there can have a great impact on these people´s lives.  The Spirit is so sweet and subtle but I know its guiding us in everything we do.  With diligence and hard work, we are able to help the people here! I love having this opportunity to serve and lose myself, really thinking of others and how we can help me.  It's such a blessing and I'm learning so much about the gospel and how to teach it each day!

OKay last second AMAZING things!!
1.  We had a lesson with a menos activo about being more active and also temples.  He agreed to set a date for when he wanted to be worthy to go to the temple!  It was so amazing and he really has a desire to go to the temple
2.  I got to ask an investigator to be baptized this week and he said yes!! He has a fecha (date) and it was such a powerful moment.  Now we get to help him be prepared for this amazing convenant.  I know the Lord has prepared people for our message and that we can help them draw closer to Christ!
3. Lastly, ELDER HOLLAND is coming to our mission!!! On March 12.  I am already hyperventilating and can´t even wait! SO EXCITED! Plus my companion is going to be the chorister so I think we´ll sit near the front.  SCORE!!

Okay thats it for this week! I'm make sure to talk more about Dominicans and some awesome local quirks next week.

I love you all and think about you often.  Thank you so much!!

Con MUCHO MUCHO AMOR,

Hermana Graham
  

No comments:

Post a Comment